Monday, April 15, 2013

42 Reasons Why Racism is Awful



So today, a much needed Monday off from school, I went to see 42 with two friends, both of whom happen to be huge baseball fans. I felt like the third wheel to their baseball bromance. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball. As soon as my AP exams are over, I will be glued to the couch, watching Nats games, but these guys just know so much more about the sport and its history (they are both former members of the basball team at my school). I just feel like an idiot around them most of the time, but I've accepted this. I've been trying to get one of the fellows to ask me to prom (which is a month and a half away, so I've got time... right?), and the other is supposedly on my side, but it doesn't seem that way sometimes. I also had a movie night with the same boys last night, which was a lot of fun. They both know a lot about movies and I enjoy just soaking in the knowledge. 

ANYWAY (sorry about the tangent). I won't give anything away, though the plot is common knowledge to any baseball fan. I was surprised at the lack of character development. there were moments when I was given a bit of a new perspective, but Jackie's character in particular was not particularly dynamic. I wasn't rooting for Jackie, I was rooting against the racists. I was much more attached to Harrison Ford's character. The ending was oddly not very climactic, and if the score hadn't been so loud and over-bearing, I might not have even realized that it was the end of the movie. At times, the subject matter was very serious, and as one of my friends pointed out, the movie could have used a bit more humor to balance it out. 

All in all, it was a solid biopic. I wasn't impressed, but it was a good movie. I really liked all of the casting choices they made, though Alan Tudyk's role caught me off guard, he was quite something in it. I think I'll have to watch it again, and maybe I'll be able to focus more on what;s going on that finding a way to sit more attractively or get my hand up on the armrest. 

3 and 1/2 baseball bats

No comments:

Post a Comment